USAID-Papua New Guinea Electrification Activity (USAID-PEP)
Senior Mini-grid Advisor (open to international candidates who are prepared to work approximately 25% of their contracted time in PNG)
The USAID-Papua New Guinea Electrification Partnership Activity (USAID-PEP) is a five-year program with the Papua New Guinea (PNG) government to significantly contribute to achieving the goal of connecting 70 percent of PNG’s population to electricity by 2030. USAID-PEP is implemented by a consortium led by RTI International that comprises utility, off-grid, regulatory, private investment, and community engagement experts responsible for delivering this activity. USAID-PEP is delivered through four main objectives:
Objective 1: Demonstrate measurable increases in PNG Power Limited’s financial viability and operational efficiency.
Objective 2: Develop viable off-grid electrification models.
Objective 3: Demonstrate measurable improvement in PNG’s energy regulator.
Objective 4: Catalyze private investment for energy projects.
USAID-PEP is seeking a Senior Mini-grid Advisor to work with the USAID-PEP Objective 2 team tasked with developing viable off-grid electrification models. The successful candidate will be skilled and experienced in the design, construction and operation of off-grid energy systems and mini-grids and be motivated by making a difference in improving the lives of Papua New Guineans. The position will work
closely with USAID-PEP’s Off-grid Lead and mini-grid team. It is expected that this role will require a commitment of half-time (125 days), up to potentially near full-time (~180 days) for at least one year (open to negotiation). An extension is possible based on program needs.
Applications from international candidates with significant relevant experience are welcome but should be expected to spend approximately 25% of their contracted time in PNG. Costs associated with travel and accommodation for international candidates will be paid by the program. International candidates should be in a similar time zone to PNG (+/- 2 hours).
• Providing technical assistance and advice to mini-grid companies and various levels ofgovernments.
• Leading the following activities:
o Identification of mini-grid sites
o Conducting site assessments
o Site data analysis
o Pre-feasibility studies involving design, optimisation and simulation of mini-grids
o Preparation of project proposals and investment project material
o Preparation of bidding and procurement documents
o Supervision and monitoring of the construction and commissioning of mini-grids
o Training for operation and maintenance of mini-grids
o Review of mini-grid pre-feasibility and feasibility studies received by USAID-PEP.
• Coordinating and assisting in:
o Community engagement
o Environmental, health and safety impact assessments
o License/permit applications
• Review and development of mini-grid regulations and standards.
• Review of mini-grid pre-feasibility and feasibility studies received by USAID-PEP.
• Supporting capacity building of local companies interested in developing mini-grids.
• Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or relevant discipline preferred.
• 10 years of experience in the mini-grid, rural electrification, power, and/or renewable energy sectors.
• Experience with mini-grid conceptual and detailed engineering design, preparation of bidding documents, operation of mini-grids, licensing, and construction supervision of mini-grids.
• Technical expertise with solar, battery energy storage systems, and hydro technology.
• Experience with HOMER Pro, Helioscope, or other equivalent solar / renewable energy design and modelling tools.
• Experience working in developing countries similar to PNG.
• Experience with managing and coordinating engineering teams.
• Excellent verbal and written communication in English and cross-culturally.
• Self-disciplined with the ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure.
• Proven prioritisation, time management and project management skills.
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and collaboration tools such as SharePoint, OneDrive, Zoom and Teams.
• Note: Travel to PNG/Port Moresby and regions in PNG will be required.
Interested applicants can submit CVs to Garick Lee
CVs/resumes are to be submitted in the English language. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Tell us what you think
No comments yet.