The Minister of Energy and Resources has today announced a package of energy-related consultations to support the transition to a low emissions future. We’re now seeking your feedback on policy that will set the direction and pace of change for energy in New Zealand.
These consultations address critical aspects of the energy transition, and will play a key role in shaping the overarching New Zealand Energy Strategy.
We’re consulting on:
- a plan for managing the gas industry’s transition to a low emissions future;
- an Interim Hydrogen Roadmap setting out the government’s initial views on the role of hydrogen in our energy transition and the path to a safe and sustainable sector;
- regulations to enable renewable energy development at sea;
- measures to make sure electricity is reliable and affordable during the transition to an expanded and more renewable electricity system; and
- how we will implement the Government’s commitment to ban new fossil fuel baseload electricity generation.
We want to hear from you – your feedback is invaluable in shaping a way forward for our energy system. Thank you for all your input so far in developing and supporting this work.
Consultations are open until 2 November. You can find out more and have a say at www.mbie.govt.nz/ourenergyfuture
We’re hosting a series of webinars to provide an overview of each of the consultation papers and to provide an opportunity to ask questions. There will also be an introductory webinar to the whole package. Find out what’s coming up, and register here: Consultation on New Zealand’s Energy Future (wufoo.com)
Our teams will also be running separate engagements focusing on the different consultation papers throughout the coming weeks. If you are keen to have a conversation with us, please let us know.
We’re also hosting a series of public webinars about this work. To register you interest in the other webinars, click on the links below:
- An overview of the energy consultations – Friday 18 August, 10am to 11am: Consultation on New Zealand’s Energy Future (wufoo.com)
- Offshore Renewable Energy – Thursday 24 August 2023, 2pm to 3pm: Consultation on Offshore Renewable Energy (wufoo.com)
- Electricity Market Measures and Implementation of the ban on Fossil-Fuel Baseload – Tuesday 29 August 2023, 2pm to 3pm: Consultation on Electricity Market Measures (wufoo.com)
- Gas Transition Plan – Wednesday 30 August 2023, 2pm to 3pm: Consultation on a Gas Transition Plan (wufoo.com)
- Interim Hydrogen Roadmap – Thursday 31 August 2023, 2pm to 3pm: Consultation on Interim Hydrogen Roadmap (wufoo.com)
NZ Energy Strategy team
Tell us what you think
No comments yet.