SEANZ was delighted to announce this year’s Fronius Energy Award winners at the organisation’s Tomorrow's Energy Today conference on the 2nd of July in association with Taspac Energy.
The awards recognise and celebrate the businesses pushing the boundaries within the solar industry to provide cutting edge technologies, deliver outstanding products and service, and create a positive impact on our communities and the environment.
SEANZ Chairman Brendan Winitana says every year he’s impressed by the industry’s drive to raise the bar and continually strive to develop the country’s Distributed Energy Resource capability.
“From an off-grid installation on the Kayangel Atoll in Palau, providing the remote community with a clean, affordable energy solution to a largescale floating solar plant installed on previously unusable land, this year’s winners have been standout, says Winitana.
He adds, We’ve also seen outstanding innovation with an energy management and billing solution that lets multi-tenancy developments utilise shared central services, reducing the capital and operational cost of services.”
The award winners were announced at the industry dinner that took place at the SEANZ annual conference, which brought together the key players across sectors who can lead the drive toward a resilient and 100% renewable energy system. This year’s event featured a two day program encompassing educational and best practice technical workshops, new technology and product showcases, innovative case studies and a session with the Minister of Energy and Resources, Hon Dr Megan Woods.
The awards were implemented to:
- celebrate our successes as an industry
- acknowledge achievement in the industry
- showcase quality implementations
- drive innovation in products and initiatives
- Help small and large businesses excel
- acknowledge those who contribute to industry
Award Winners for 2021:
1. Best Off-Grid Renewable System
- Winner: Infratec and Sunergise for the Kayangal Hybrid Project in Palau
- Runner-up: Hubands Energy for the Matekohe Limestone Island Solar Project
2. Best Grid-Connected Renewable System
- Joint Winners: Infinite Energy NZ for the Forest Lodge Orchard Project AND Vector Powersmart for the Watercare Floating Solar Farm
3. Dave Keppel Innovation Award
- Winner: Re/volve Energy for Energy Management & Billing Solution
- Runner-up: Infratec for Project BOOST
4. Best Small Business
- Winner: Sunergy Solar Ltd
5. Best Environmental Impact
- Winner: Re/volve Energy for the Cohaus Project
- Runner-up: Sunergy Solar Ltd for the Stewart Island Solar Project
6. Best Large Business
- Winner: Vector Powersmart
7. Best Community Energy Project
- Winner: Infratec for the Energise Ōtaki Community Project
8. SEANZ Industry Person of the Years – 2020 and 2021
- Winner: Terry Paddy of Cortexo
Managing Director of Cortexo, who specialise in software platforms in the energy, DER and energy efficiency space, Terry is most deserving of this award. As an unsung hero in the background, Terry has provided significant support and drive for DER PV as a solution, through his advocacy and promotional efforts across the sector. His actions and his business have and will continue to drive PV ESS uptake, especially given digital platforms enable and as attested in many other countries, hastens the uptake within the sector.
Terry is a member of IPAG (Innovation Panel Advisory Group) who advise the Electricity Authority as well as having held many senior roles in the software industry. An ex-pilot from the RNZAF, Terry is also a Chartered Company Secretary and Administrator (ACIS) and a member of the New Zealand Institute of Directors
9. SEANZ Independent Power Founders Scholarship
Awarded to Jonjo Mahon, Lightforce Energy
The scholarship provides for full training in both grid-connected and off-grid systems with GSES (global training organisation) in Australia with full support from sponsors, the industry founders, Independent Power and SEANZ. The practical and theoretical training is CEC accredited with a formal qualification on completion.
10. SEANZ Life Membership
Awarded to Iain Jerrett, ex SEANZ Board Director, Principal and Director of Astara Technologies.
Iain has contributed immensely to the formation, development of SEANZ and the industry. With both a strong technical background in DER, PV & energy storage and business management across his own business and his time in corporate business Iain will be missed greatly by SEANZ. Having been on the board since 2008, Iain’s inputs as SEANZ Treasurer and his much-valued insights and advice into direction, strategy and the work programme over the years has helped the industry grow immensely. SEANZ recognises this, awarding Iain with Life Membership to the organisation.